[Advaita-l] Shankha and Siva Puja

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 23:51:19 CST 2014

Namaste
On the TV programme Satyadarshana in Chandana TV one big scholar said it is
not correct to do Rudra Abhisheka with Shankha water but many people are
doing this wrong practice. Some Swamijis are also using Shankha for Rudra
Abhisheka. It is wrong.

He told a story of one Asura and his Pativrata wife. Siva was doing battle
with the Asura to kill him but he became invincible because the wife was
very pure Pativrata. Her Pativratya was protecting him. Then Vishnu
disguised as the Asura came to the wife. The wife thought her husband has
come but it was Vishnu. He spoiled her Pativratya. At that moment Siva
killed the Asura because his wife's Pativratya was not there.

That Asura became Shankha and his wife became Tulasi. Vishnu gave a boon to
the wife and Shankha. In Vishnu Puja both Tulasi and Shankha are used.
Shankha always is near Tulasi because was loving his wife very much. There
is a love triangle. Tulasi loves Vishnu and Shankha loves Tulasi.

But in Siva Puja we should not use Shankha water to do Rudra Abhisheka.

I have one question.

Can we use Shankha for Abhisheka of other gods like Ganesha, Ambika, Surya?
Subrahmanya?

I heard some Swamijis are using Shankha for Ganesha Abhisheka also.

-Venkatesh