[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Nithin Sridhar sridhar.nithin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 07:14:05 CST 2014

I do not think, there is any way to determine how much Karmas are left.
Hence, the past karmas are called as "adrisha". It is for this reason that,
scriptures speak of developing qualities like viveka, vairagya etc as a
pointers of spiritual progress. Because, for attaining Jnana it is not
necessary that all past Karmas are burned, but the dawn of Jnana burns away
all past and future karmas. Hence, by constant Sadhana and living life by
Dharma one burns away the blocking karmas that block spiritual progress and
help us attain the qualities like Nishkaama dasha etc.

Regarding someone remaining same even after sadhana for 20 years. There may
be many reasons. It may be as you have stated that he has yet to go a long
way. It may also be because, for some reason there is no external
indications though here are internal changes. It may be also because, the
practice has been mechanical without "devotion". It may be also because,
the sadhana have been done for some other purpose and not for spiritual
progress. But, the key is patience and devotion.

Regarding your Q about the availability of the Guru, it is my humble
opinion that, it is often the Guru who chooses the Shishya and not
otherwise. When you are ready Divine mother will bring the Guru to you or
take you to him. So, you need no worry about it. Lord Shiva Dakshinamurthy
is the first Guru, the Guru of all. If anyone does not have physical Guru,
he may always take Shiva as his Guru and practice Sadhana. And Shiva will
guide any such person.

-Nithin