[Advaita-l] Body is the disease

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 15:48:29 CST 2014

It is common knowledge that Shankara in the Brahmasutras, the ones like
'bhedavyapadeshAt cha anyaH' (1.1.21), has explicitly established the
difference between the jiva and the Supreme.  The 'hetu' given is, as the
Sutra itself gives: because the difference, bheda, between the jiva and the
antaryAmi Ishwara, is clearly stated in the Br.up. 3.7.9 where the jiva,
the knower, is spoken of as not knowing the antaryAmi Ishwara.
(jiva-Ishwara bheda)

This kind of explicit bheda is upheld by Shankara in such sutras as the
above, the other instances being BSB 1.1.16 and 17:  'IdRsham cha
vijnAnAtma-paramAtmabhedamAshritya 'netaro'nupapatteH' (1.1.16) and
'bhedavyapadeshAccha (1.1.17) ityuktam.

There is another sutra where Shankara very clearly establishes, along with
hetu-s, the difference between jiva-s (jiva-jiva bheda).

Thus the pancha bheda-s: jiva-jiva, jiva-Ishwara, jiva-jaDa, jaDa-Ishwara
and jaDa-jaDa bhedas which non-advaitins hold as pAramArthika, and
advaitins hold as vyAvahArika only, are yet upheld wherever necessary
across the bhAshyas of the prasthAnatraya by advancing the appropriate
hetu-s.  None can fault such a method which, is the one followed by the
Shruti/smRti.  In several places Shankara advances 'nahi dRShTe anupapannam
nAma' with regard to things which are common knowledge.  Yet such things
are vyAvahArika in Advaita.

regards
subrahmanian.v