[Advaita-l] Reference to Rudra and Aditya in BGB 6.47

Sujal Upadhyay via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Mon Jul 28 00:37:12 CDT 2014

Namaste,

Regarding the discussion, there is one more verse in BG 11.15 which
describes virATa svarUpa of bhagavAn. Here, Adi SankarAcArya in his bhASya
has not translated the word 'ISa' as Siva, while rAmAnujAcArya has. It
would be interesting to know the commentaries of other AcArya-s. mAdvAcArya
and Abhinavagupta has not commented on this verse. Other AcArya-s like
Valliabhacharya, Madhusudan Saraswati, Shreedhar Swami, Nilkantha, etc have
not written the word Siva. Still, we can have a look at it. Please also
check Anandgiri's bhashya. Since I am not conversant with sanskrit, I
request you to please have a look.

We can know the meaning of the word bhagavan w.r.t that bhagavAn is also
used ot refer to nirguNa brahman is given in bhAgvat purANa BP 3.32.31-3.

Please find below verses translated into English from Gujarati edition of
Gita Press, Gorakhpur.

BP 3.32.31: Revered Mother! I gave you the knowledge (GYAna), a tool, that
gives you the direct experience of Brahman (brahmasAxAtkara), and because
of which one can know (bodha) the true nature (yathArtha svarUpa) of
prakriti (mAyA) and puruSa (controller of mAyA, an omnipresent entity.

 BP 3.32.32: O Divine mother! The fruit of both of these paths - the
knowledge related to nirguNa Brahman and the knowledge of bhaktiyOga given
by me is one [and same] only; Fruit of both paths i.e. final destination
obtained by practicing both approaches (bhakti and GYAna) *are also
referred by the name of ‘bhagavAn’*

 BP 3.32.33: Just like the substratum of rUpa (form), rasa (taste), gandha
(smell, aroma, fragnance), et al, many guNa-s (qualities), is one and only
tatva which is experienced by different senses as different forms, in the
same way, by practicing different paths as said in SAstra-s, one
experiences the one and only same bhagavAn.

*BP 3.32.34-36 without english translation of core words.*

 BP 3.32.34-36: Different types of karma-s [as sanctioned by SAstra-s],
yaGYa, dAna, tapa, veda-adhyayan, veda-vicAra / veda-chintan [mimAmsA],
Atma-indriya-nigrah {Atma is taken as mind, sanyAsa, yoga consisting of
various limbs, bhaktiyoga, both types of dharmic actions like renunciation
and action done with sakAma or niSkAma, knowledge of atma-tatva (Self /
Brahman) and strong vairAGYa – by using all these sAdhana (tools), we can
know svayamprakASa (self-effulgent) [that which lights all and which is not
lighted by anyone i.e. consciousness is called as svayamprakA] bhagavAn who
is of the form saguNa and nirguNa.

*BP 3.32.34-36 with english translation of core words.*

BP 3.32.34-36: Different types of karma-s (actions) [as sanctioned by
SAstra-s],

yaGYa (vedic rites and rituals),

dAna (donation)

tapa (austerity)

veda-adhyayan (to study the veda-s),

veda-vicAra / veda-chintan (thinking / comtemplating on veda-s) [mimAmsA],

Atma-indriya-nigrah (control over mind and [five] senses) *- {Atma is taken
as mind}*

sanyAsa [karma-tyAga] (renunciation of actions),

yoga consisting of various limbs,

bhaktiyoga,

Both types of dharmic actions like renunciation and action done with sakAma
(action done with keeping fruits on mind) or niSkAma (action done without
any attachment of fruits or outcome),

knowledge of atma-tatva (Self / Brahman) and

strong vairAGYa (dispassion, absence of worldly desires in mind)

 – by using all these sAdhana (tools), we can know svayamprakASa
(self-effulgent) [that which lights all and which is not lighted by anyone
i.e. consciousness is called as svayamprakA] bhagavAn who is of the form
saguNa and nirguNa.

The whole chapter is interesting to read.

----

 In the incidence of samudra manthan, when deva-s approach Siva for the
help, all deva-s glorify Siva as Brahman. It also gives the meaning of the
word 'Siva'.

In Vishnu Purana, nAga-s drink poison and not Siva.

Hari OM

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna