[Advaita-l] Jiiva at Satya Loka - Will He or Won't He come back

Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Tue Jun 24 01:17:31 CDT 2014

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:

> "Janaka, the ruler of a large
> and powerful empire could not in his circumstances perform upasana with
> vairagya but due to his generous dana etc. he merited the birth of Janaki"
>
> How did you conclude that that Janaka and this Janaka are the same? What
> evidence is advanced for that, by anyone?

Actually you have raised a pertinent question.  According to shastras
several (all?) kings of Mithila were named Janaka.  So I jumped the gun in
assuming that the Janaka mentioned in the Gita is the father of Sita ma.
Is Yajnavalkya mentioned in Valmiki Ramayana?  Let me research this
further...

Regardless, it does not change the main point which is that the Gitas'
mention of Janaka is to extol karma yoga as a viable alternative to
sannyasa.