[Advaita-l] Which one is first in the creation sequence

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Mar 4 00:43:58 CST 2014

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014, mc1 at aol.com wrote:

>  Doesn't Gaudapada and Sankara thoroughly establish
> ajativada tradition in the Mandukya Karika?

Yes.  That ajativada is most clearly expressed in the Mandukyopanishad
which is why Muktikopanishad says that the study of that alone is
sufficient.  But then it goes on to name 107 (including itself) more
upanishads.  Why?  Because there is a need for them.

> For instance, introducing
> MaKBh 3.23, the purvapaksa suggests that "The sruti that speaks of
> creation cannot be accepted as a valid proof by one who holds that the
> Self is not born."  Sankara responds that the purpose of the sruti is
> the oneness of Brahman and not creation as that is secondary .... and
> further that, "creation in any other use (than Maya or Illusion) is not
> accepted and it serves no purpose." are we then discussing in the

That has no *ultimate* purpose.  But only a few can grasp that
immediately.  In particular, Shankaracharya observes that Arjuna was a
madhyama adhikari (mid-level qualified) for jnana.  It is for them that
shruti and smrti describe creation, maintainence, and regeneration of the
universe.  In my response to the original post I gave some reasons why
Krshna Bhagavan might want to present Himself to Arjuna as within time.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः wrote:

> Because, I'm not writing to explain to you. I got just irritated by such
> stereotypical post which are posted by 'brahmaGYAnI-s' and 'ajAtavAdin-s'
> now and then on this forum or that.

Come now, your response is a little over the top don't you think? This is
a legitimate question.