[Advaita-l] BhAgavatam : The objective world is illusory

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 05:12:48 CST 2014

Namaste
On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> >  I am always at trouble when it is said that world is mere illusion of
> mind..because this is the theory of vijnAnavAda (bauddha mata) which
> shankara refutes in sUtra bhAshya (for example in 3rd adhyAya).  I think
> important point to be noted here is world AS GRASPED by the senses is
> ofcourse an illusion, because it varies from individual to individual
> according to his/her taste and tendency...but world AS IT IS is nothing
> but HIM since he is the abhinna nimittOpadAna kAraNa for the jagat.  For
> example if one sees a rose AS A ROSE without attributing any visheshaNa to
> it,( like it is red, it is big, it smells good, it;s petals are weak, good
> if we keep it in pooja room, bad if my girl friend rejects it :-)) etc)

Once you said you have a wife. Do you have a girl friend also? Is she
beautiful? Your wife knows about her? Just a joke. Relax.
I think Vijnana Vadi Bauddhas will say everything is in the mind and False
but they will not say the Seer Atma is True. That Seer is imagining the
whole world but he is imagining it in His mind. That Mind is not True but
He is True. Bauddhas will simply say everything is in the mind only. This
Adi Sankara has attacked in Sutra Bhashya.

> then that rose is ROSE only without any visheshaNa attributed by the
> conditioned mind/senses.  And this rose is  which is without any
> visheshaNa is always remains ROSE only without any attributes.  Perhaps
> that is what the below bhAgavata quote is saying :
>
> // not having a reality apart from the dRk, seer //
>
> >  Yes, there is no reality for the jagat apart from THAT...hence it is
> said in chAndOgya that when nAma rUpa vikAra is treated separately from IT
> is asatya, but when it is seen from its 'sadrUpa' it is SATYA only...
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

-Venkatesh