[Advaita-l] Quintessence of Vedanta in 8 verses

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 01:16:00 CDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Namaste
>
> Very interesting. In the 7th Sloka - Guru Maaruta Vandyam Tam Svaatmajyotir
> Upaasmahe. In Guruvayoor Vaayu is Guru and the Devata is Krishna.

I do not know about the tradition of vAyu being the Guru in GuruvAyUr.  The
English translation for the 7th shloka is  // ....worshiped always by
Devaguru (BRhaspati) and vAyudeva.//

Also look at the first shloka: gururUpeNa yo nityam sharIre
vAyumandire...where the translation means to say: The lord is residing in
the body which is the abode of vAyu (vAyu is the power that keeps the body
alive, subordinating all other sense/motor organs).  So, the poet says that
the Atman is the Guru (like the dakShiNAmUrti) in the body.  This idea is
very similar to Bhagavan Ramana's method of looking upon the Self as the
Guru.  Ishvaro gururAtmeti mUrtibheda vibhAgine ...an advaitic invocatory
verse which is based on the bhAgavatam verse of the eleventh canto:

bhayaḿ <http://vedabase.net/b/bhayam> dvitīyābhiniveśataḥ syād

īśād apetasya <http://vedabase.net/a/apetasya> viparyayo
'smṛtiḥ<http://vedabase.net/s/smrtih>

tan <http://vedabase.net/t/tan>-māyayāto budha <http://vedabase.net/b/budha>
 ābhajet <http://vedabase.net/a/abhajet> taḿ <http://vedabase.net/t/tam>

bhaktyaikayeśaḿ guru <http://vedabase.net/g/guru>-devatātmā

SYNONYMS

bhayam <http://vedabase.net/b/bhayam> — fear;
dvitīya<http://vedabase.net/d/dvitiya>
 — in <http://vedabase.net/i/in> something seeming
to<http://vedabase.net/t/to> be
other than the Lord; abhiniveśataḥ <http://vedabase.net/a/abhinivesatah> —
because of absorption; syāt <http://vedabase.net/s/syat> —
it<http://vedabase.net/i/it> will
arise; īśāt <http://vedabase.net/i/isat> — from the Supreme Lord;
apetasya<http://vedabase.net/a/apetasya> —
for one who has turned away; viparyayaḥ <http://vedabase.net/v/viparyayah> —
misidentification; asmṛtiḥ <http://vedabase.net/a/asmrtih> —
forgetfulness; tat <http://vedabase.net/t/tat> — of the Lord;
māyayā<http://vedabase.net/m/mayaya> —
by the illusory energy; ataḥ <http://vedabase.net/a/atah> — therefore;
budhaḥ <http://vedabase.net/b/budhah> — an <http://vedabase.net/a/an>
intelligent
person; ābhajet <http://vedabase.net/a/abhajet> — should worship
fully; tam<http://vedabase.net/t/tam> —
Him; bhaktyā <http://vedabase.net/b/bhaktya> — with devotion;
ekayā<http://vedabase.net/e/ekaya> —
unalloyed; īśam <http://vedabase.net/i/isam> — the Lord;
guru<http://vedabase.net/g/guru>
-devatā <http://vedabase.net/d/devata>-ātmā <http://vedabase.net/a/atma> — one
who sees his own spiritual master as <http://vedabase.net/a/as> his lord
and very soul.

Therefore, the Guru, the Ishwara and the AtmA are none other than
manifestations of One Consciousness, Brahman/dakShiNAmUrti.

regards
vs