[Advaita-l] 'world' is not the mental creation of tiny soul !!

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Mar 13 07:28:43 CDT 2014

I think you are not considering Sri SSS statement Maayaa is Avidyaa
kalpitaa.

praNAms Sri Venkatesh prabhuji
Hare Krishna

No need to mention whatever I have written in the previous mail is the
gurukAruNya bhiksha only....If anything in mail  that goes against Sri SSS
then it is my fault & my misunderstanding only.  But it is always better
to not to bring the individual Acharya's name when we are discussing some
topic with both side acceptable pramANa i.e. shankara's prasthAna trayi
bhAshya.

Anyway, as you are rightly observed yes, shankara at various places says
mAya is avidyAkalpita, avidyApratyupasthApita, avidyAkruta, avidyAkArya
etc.  The context we need to understand here is mAya is 'false appearance'
which appears as if it is there due to ignorance of the truth.  If I see a
snake in place of rope, then it is my ignorance about the true nature of
rope.  Due to this ignorance of the real nature of rope, the false
appearance of snake happens on the rope.  For the person who does not know
the real nature of rope, 'the snake' appears as if it is there really.
This false appearance of snake is called mAya which is avidyAkruta by
jeeva.  Hence, according to shankara bhAshya, avidyA is subjective defect
and mAya is an objective false appearance like snake in the place of rope.
 Meaning of this is ignorance of the real nature of rope gives the
existence for the false appearance of snake.  It is because of this reason
only it has been said that mAya is avidyA kalpita.  But as pointed out
before, jagat is NOT like a snake on the rope OTOH whatever is there in
the form of pot, jug etc. it is nothing but 'clay' only.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar