[Advaita-l] 'world' is not the mental creation of tiny soul !!

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 00:31:38 CDT 2014

Subbuji - PraNAms

With due respects, I still feel one has to be careful in interpreting the pourusheya slokas if it appears to contradict the statements of srithi. jnaamadyasya yathaH defining Brahman (Iswara) using the taTastha lakshna cannot not be applied to local tiny BMI identified jiiva where the BMI is part of that creation. If you say Jiiva in reality is nothing but Brahman, then we are talking about from the point of jnaani. If jiiva thinks that is the local tiny BMI which is essentially jiiva-hood, he cannot be the creation of the cosmos. We cannot have both ways here. Either accept that jiiva that is being mentioned as the creator of the entire cosmos  is not from the local BMI point but from Iswara point. Apply the same thing to the dream world. The dream world is not the projection of the mind of the subject in the dream who is running away from the chasing tiger in the dense forest, but the total mind that pervades the whole creation, the tiny jiivas BMI,
 his notions, the tiger, the forest and any other chara achara in that world. The tiny subject in the dream cannot create the tiger and the run away from it.

vyaavahaarika satyam has to differ from the praatibhaasika in that not only cognition but transaction is involved - such as running away from the tiger or shooting it either in the waking world or in the dream world.

Cognition does not involve creation and then cognizing that creation by the local mind. Mind perceives what is there that which is beyond its creation. Even in praatibhaasika when the local mind is projecting as in the case of snake on a rope, the snake comes from the memory of the object perceived in the past or assembled in the mind using the perceived objects such as hare with horns etc. The assembled parts are again not the creation of the tiny jiiva in the praatibhaasika.

I would interpret the mental creation mentioned in the sloka not to the objective world outside but formation of the vRittis in the mind which becomes knowledge of the subject, chidaabhaasa. Here the local mind is only creating the vRitti of the object for volition and cognition and what Krishna says is what ever you cognize using the mind is mithyaa which as I mentioned Shankara says - dRisyatvaat - in this commentary on Madukya kaarika.

 I am unable to accept your interpretation that the cosmic creation is by the local mind therefore it is mithyaa. I would say it is by the global mind and is taken as real by ajnaani's mind until he recognizes that it is neither sat nor asat,, thus becoming jnaani.

Only when using that mind when  a jnaani understands that I am not this tiny mind but I am the substratum for the entire universe, then one can say that identified Brahman is the creation of the entire universe in tune with the scriptural statements.

I would say you are extending the rope/snake example beyond the range of applicability. Shankara uses the example to indicate the adhyaaas aspect. There are two types of adhyaasa - sOpaadika and nirupaadika that I know you are familiar. Rope/snake which is praatibhaasika error and mirage waters or appearing red crystal, or modern example of sunrise and sunset etc or more vyaavahaarik adhyaasa - both come under mithyaa, dRisyatvaat.  Shankara is not endorsing cosmic creation by the local tiny jiiva's mind. Jnaani and ajnaani see the Iswara sRishTi - the difference as you know the one sees as mithyaa while other thinks it is satyam. Hence contextual interpretation has to be done in tune with whole vedantic teaching.

Since we are not going anywhere, I will stop with this unless I am wrong in saying that it is not the global mind that creates the cosmas  in tune with Krishnas' many statements in Geeta - prabhavaH pralaya sthaanam.. gatir bhartha prabhuH saakshii, mayaa tatam idam sarvam jagat .. etc. as you are very familiar. Laya and pralaya  and mahaa pralaya are distinctly different one from micro and the other from macro. aabrahma lOkaaH... etc are all part of macro and cannot be created by tiny jiiva and then entering into those. Creating and then cognizing by the local mind comes from my understanding close to vijnaana vaada than Vedanta.

Sorry I am unable to accept your interpretation that tiny jiiva's mind is creates the whole cosmos and then cognizes it and therefore whatever cognized by that mind is mithyaa. What ever cognized is mithyaa as dRisyatvaat  is true but that need not involve creation by the local jiiva.

He only creates more confusion on top of Iswara creation which we call it as jiiva srushti.

Since I have nothing more to add, I stop here.

Hari Om!
Sada