[Advaita-l] Release of of the book "The Original Bhagavad Gita"

Sunil Bhattacharjya via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Mon May 5 22:26:13 CDT 2014

Dear Bhashkarji,

The fact that the Original Bhagavad Gita has 745 verses has been mentioned in the Gitamana verse in the Mahabharata itself.  According to the Gitamana verse 620 verses are attributed to Lord Krishna. The presently available version has only 575 verses of Lord Krishna. Forty five verses of Lord Krishna are missing from the presently available version of the Bhagavad Gita. There are internal evidences  also, which show that certain verses were present in the Original version. All these have been discussed in detail in the book. For example, any keen reader must have observed that the Lord says tin the Bhagavad Gita that he would speak about the Parampada but in the version with 700 verses ,what Lord said on the Parampada is missing. There are quite a few such pointers in the Bhagavad gita, which the scholars seem to have ignored.

One cannot say that the Great Adi Shankaracharya did not know about this fact.  In fact the complete version with 745 verses was treated as an esoteric version and its circulation was confined to close circles which must have included the past Shankaracharyas. Adi Shankaracharya spoke about the difficulty the earlier commentators had in explaining certain seemingly conflicting verses and it is quite possible that he wanted to popularize the Bhagavad Gita with the verses which would be suitable for common consumption. It is also possible that the early acharyas of the Vishistadvaita abd Dvaita schools did not have access to the version with 745 verses and they devoted their time and energy only to contest Adi Shankaracharya's explanations. However there are evidences that some later scholars of the Ramanuja school was aware of some of he rare verses.

Regards,
Sunil KB

On , Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

Namaste friends,

The name of the publisher is :

Parimal Publications

Office : 27 / 28, Shakti Nagar, Delhi - 110007 (India)
Retail Outlet : 22/3, Shakti nagar, Delhi - 110007 (India)

Regards,
Sunil KB