[Advaita-l] Isavasya Upanisad 9th Mantra

Nithin Sridhar via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Thu May 22 11:11:10 CDT 2014

Avidya Upasana is Karma Anushtana and Vidya Upasana is Devata Upasana. By
Karma alone, one will be continuously bound in Gross Samsara. By Karma
Anushtana i.e. performing one's svadharma (based on varna, ashrama etc)
alone, one will attain Pitr Loka after death and return to Bhu-loka. On the
other hand, by Devata Upasana alone, one will after death attain the
Deva-loka upto Hiranyagarba. But, even such a person must return to
Bhu-Loka when the Karma-Phala that took him there gets emptied.

The point is, in both cases a person will be stuck in Samsara, in the
Karmic cycle of birth and death. But, in case of Avidya, a person is
ignorant, he is in error by compulsion, he is driven due to desires and
karmic results. But, in the latter case, a person takes his attainment of a
deity or a loka as the end of the journey. By attaining any one aspect of
God, he mistakes it as ultimate. So, the error here is in a sense through
choice. And hence, he falls into a greater darkness. It is easier to
rectify a mistake committed in Ignorance as such a mistake is recognized as
a mistake when someone points it out but, a mistake committed through false
understanding, cannot be rectified easily as the person is under the false
impression that he is right and hence denies that any mistake is done.

The point is, the Upanishad is broadly explaining the different paths that
various Karmas and Upasanas will lead a person too. A person who practice
one of them alone will be stuck after attaining a certain level. For
further progress, he must invariably have to practice the other as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nithin S

(P.S- I have just started a Isha Upanishad class through email (only 2
mantras have been taken till now). If you or anybody else is interested,
please do email me outside the group. I am not a scholar, nor do I strictly
follow Shankara Bhashya. It is more of an explanations based on my own
understanding which is largely based on Shankara Bhashya).