[Advaita-l] Realization through Mind

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 02:45:41 CST 2014

Dear Sri Anandji,

 You wrote

  Though both the mind and shabda are accepted by the two
schools, the debate here is about which of the two - mind or shabda, yields
direct realization. The BhAmatI holds that shabda can only give us indirect
realization.

 While shabda (shravaNa) alone gives rise to knowledge which results in the
direct experience (of the Self), due to the defects that are the
impressions of illusions in the mind, even this direct experience is
apprehended as an indirect experience. In this case, manana and
nididhyAsana will act as helping (auxiliary) factors of the shabda pramANa
or shravaNa to eliminate these defects which are obstacles (to direct
experience) and thereby cause the direct experience to be established.
There is no contradiction.

 The real issue is the desired objective of freedom from rebirth being
achieved. Is it at the end of shravana itself or after manana and
nididhyasana ? Please clarify with reference to the position taken by Sri
Bhagavatpada as well as with reference to both the schools of thought
discussed by you.

 Regards

 Chandramouli

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <