[Advaita-l] Multiple coloured mandala-s in vedic karma-s

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 05:05:07 CST 2014

It is unlikely that maNDalas are mentioned in shrauta and gRihya texts.
However, I have seen that prayoga manuals, such as the those based on
narasiMha prayoga pArijAta for Rg vedins, do recommend maNdalas for various
karmas, for example, the graha yajna. I have read somewhere (can't recall
where right now) that a devatA can be worshipped in four forms - pratimA or
idol, homa agni, kalasha, and maNDala or yantra. That is probably why all
these different forms of worship are included in one ritual, to produce the
best effect.

Anand