[Advaita-l] Jnani's Dharma

S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Tue Oct 21 12:46:29 CDT 2014

A relevant extract on a Master's view on the actions of a GYAnin follow.

The key statement is, "A GYAnin will not do so normally", implying that
the GYAni CAN act in unregulated ways, but that it is not common.

Sureshvara saying, "If a GYAnin were to act in an unregulated fashion, then
what is the difference
between him and a dog, which consumes even what is unclean?"
Permits this interpretation also: "A GYAnin can really act in any way,
even unregulated ways, but an ordinary man
should not fancy himself a GYAnin and
start acting in a perverted manner."
Certainly, Krishna was a cowherd, but not all cowherds are Krishna!

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2011-September/029268.html

---
Here is a relevant  excerpt from the book Exalting Elucidations which
contains discourses of Swami Abhinavavidyatirtha.  (pp. 307-308)

Disciple: Is a GYAnin beyond virtue and sin?

Abhinavavidyatirtha: Yes.

D:  Then, since no merit or sin is acquired by a GYAnin, will he conduct
himself in any manner whatsoever?

A: A GYAnin will not do so normally.  His mind should have been extremely
pure  prior to his attaining GYAna.  This purity remains even after the
dawn of knowledge.  A GYAnin is an ideal for others.  sureshvarAchArya has
observed, "if a GYAnin were to act in an unregulated fashion, then what is
the difference between him and a dog, which consumes even what is unclean?"

D: Should the shrAddha of a GYAnin be performed after he dies?