[Advaita-l] events during Pitru Paksha

Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Fri Sep 19 22:28:56 CDT 2014

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Ravi Chandrasekhara wrote:

> Having grown up with Gujarati friends, I've attended and participated in
> Dandiya Raas. By speaking and understanding Hindi and also through
> exposure and interest. I can understand a good amount of Gujarati and
> hence still enjoy Raas krida. Guj Samaj tends to throw Garba Raas events
> even before Navaratri but is it proper to have it during Pitru Paksha?
> My father advise me not to attend/participate as it is during Pitru
> Paksha.
>
> Any comments, especially from Gujarati members ?

Your father is correct.  As well as Navaratri, Garba is also performed
around Sharad Purnima (Purnima of Ashvin masa) as that is when the events
of rasapanchadhyayi in Bhagavata Purana took place but it is absolutely
not ok during pitr paksha.  Unfortunately some weekend Hindus shunt all
utsavas to Saturday and Sunday regardless of the correct tithi.  It's a
problem that will solve itself in one generation.