[Advaita-l] asti bhAti priyaM in Drg-drsya viveka

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 01:55:24 CDT 2015

Sri Balagopal Ramakrishnan Ji,

Regarding your observation

<< >>>We know that chaitanyaM (चैतन्यं ) is not  indriya grAhya (इन्द्रिय
ग्राह्य).

Then how does bhAti (in the verse) is explained?

'Chaitanyam' being the 'eye' of the 'eye' can never be 'seen'. It's the
subject and never the object. >> ,

Well , Not exactly. The next part of your post itself shows that Chaitanyam
is indeed cognized in all cognition although only partially. How ? Because
in any cognition all five aspects are cognized , the first three of which
belong to Brahman/Chaitanyam.

Chaitanyam/Brahman/Atman is , in the vyavaharika level , considered to have
two aspects , सामान्य ( sAmAnya , general/universal ) and विशेष ( Vishesha
, specific/unique/particular) . The first includes the asti,bhAti,priya
aspects covered in the verse under discussion while the second covers असंग
कूटस्थ नित्यमुक्त अनंत ( asanga , kUtastha , nityamukta , anantha ) etc
aspects which are unique to Atman/Brahman/Chaitanyam. It is the first one
which is always included in all cognition while the second one is not
cognized except on Realization.

Regards

Chandramouli

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 6:37 PM, balagopal ramakrishnan <rbalpal at yahoo.co.in