[Advaita-l] Grammatical question about Mundaka 2.1.1 bhashyam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 04:13:19 CST 2015

Thank you Sri Praveen ji, for the replies.  Would you consider the two
words highlighted here as viśeṣaṇas for 'satyam'?

य*दपरविद्याविषयं कर्मफललक्षणम्* सत्यं तदापेक्षिकम् ।

Leaving out the 'yat' (which is completed by the 'tat' at the end), of  the
two words are adjectives, is not the second one a bahuvrīhi according to
you?

I also meant that when a compound, even though is tatpuruṣa per se, when
used as a  viśeṣaṇa (to another word that is a viśeṣya), such a compound
becomes a bahuvrīhi.  Is this view not correct? Also, is it incorrect to
hold that a bahuvrīhi compound can have prathamā vibhakti like yāh saḥ (as
distinct from the very popular 'yasya saḥ', yena saḥ yasmāt saḥ, etc?

regards
subbu