[Advaita-l] Permanence of the self

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 23:38:22 CST 2015

Namaste Sri Venkatraghavan

I have gone through the article. It is balanced article like you said. But
unfortunately I have no good knowledge of Buddhist source books or Buddhist
arguments. From my understanding I can make some comments. Kindly correct
me if wrong -

1  Gaudapada has explained the Ajaativaada in the Karikas. Buddha has not
spoken of Ajaativaada. Naitad Buddhena Bhashitam.

2. Gaudapada has accepted authority of Vedanta and Brahman-Atman in his
Karikas. Buddha has not accepted authority of Vedas and Vedanta. He has not
spoken of Brahman-Atman. Naitad Buddhena Bhashitam.

3 In the article on Page 6 - 'Gautama Buddha advocates the the everlasting
real nature of the Law. Gaudapada advocates the Pure Intelligence only
which is beyond the sphere of the law of causality. The one contends the
metethical Law of phenomena, the other the transcendental reality of the
pure consciouness.'  What is 'everlasting real nature of the Law' accepted
by Gautama Buddha? I did not understand.

4. Same page -  'Here one might raise objections against my view and say
among others: isn't the highest truth of Gautama Buddha the Consciousness
Only, because the Trirnsika declares it so? My answer is no. Read carefully
the following verses! And you will find out that the Non-mind (acittam) or
Non-consciousness is the highest truth. The Consciousness Only is a half
-way house,where one should not dwell forever. It should be left behind in
order to arrive at the highest truth. And this is the real nature of the
Law (dharma-dhatu) which is identical with the knowledge of no false
imagination (nirvikalpajnanam), and which may be expressed by the knowledge
won after' it (tatprsthalabdha jnanam).'
What Gautama Buddha said Gaudapada did not say. Naitad Gaudapaadaihi
Bhashitam.

This important point is cutting to pieces the bad Bengali and other
scholars argument saying -  the Sunyata of Buddhists is same as Brahman
Consciousness of Vedanta and we Advaitis do not have anything new and
Advaita and Buddhism are the same. These people have not understood Advaita
and they have not understood Buddhism also.

5 I do not agree with this on Page 7 - 'It is doubtless that the
Upanishadas had much influence upon Buddhism and vice versa. This is the
reason why Vidhushekhara's interpretation of Gaudapada has appeared and
Samkara is sometimes reproached for his being a pracchanna bauddha.'

How is it possible the Apaurusheya Eternal Upanishads got influence of
Buddhism? There may be some new and recent Upanishads but the Old
Dashopanishads were there in Gautama Buddha's time also. The author cannot
accuse 'Upanishads got Buddhist influence' for these Ten Upanishads. Adi
Sankara wrote his Bhashyas on these Ten Upanishads. But Buddists got
Upanishad ideas. Advaita is Upanishad based philosophy. On the surface both
share some common ideas. By observing this ignorant people said Advaitis
are Pracchanna Bauddhas. But who said this they themselves are Pracchanna
Charvakas. This is the joke.

-Venkatesh