[Advaita-l] akdhandaakara vRitti - My mistake

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 06:36:34 CDT 2015

Namaste,
This is my understanding:

>>If cognition of an attributeless-object as-it-is (whatever that means) is
possible, then the question arises as to how you will distinguish between
two or more such attributeless objects ?

This was your question. Firstly, by object in the your question let us take
the example of the attribute-as-the-object itself. Let me explain what that
means.

In describing an object, let us say you talk about its attributes, and then
you describe those attributes, and you keep on doing this process, ie you
keep regressing from effect back to the cause, you get to a point where you
cannot describe the attribute by anything else apart from itself.

The character of the knowledge of such an entity is such that it can only
describe it and no other - such a knowledge is called akhandAkAra vritti.

Your question was how is it possible to distinguish one such attribute-less
entity from the other - you can distinguish blueness from redness, right?
How is that possible? Because of the akhandAkAra vritti that denotes that
object alone, and nothing else.

However, it doesn't mean that there is only one akhandAkAra vritti for all
objects - it means the akhandAkAra of the vritti can reveal only that
object and nothing else.

So to come back to distinguishing blueness and redness, the akhandAkAra
vritti of Blueness is different from the akhandAkAra vritti of Redness,
that is how you distinguish the two.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan