[Advaita-l] akhanDaakara-vRtti‏

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 03:52:39 CDT 2015

namaste

Agree with the explanation below, with slight difference..

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> PraNAms Bhaskarji,
> The question was if it is possible to cognize an object without its
> attributes.
>
> The answer in certain cases, like "soyam devadatta", you can.

Yes

> Please
> consider the sentence soyam devadatta, leaving all notions of whatever or
> whoever devadatta is.
>
> What does that sentence, taken in isolation, convey? Do we know, just by
> that sentence, if devadatta is a man, a woman, a dog, an alien? We don't.

In this example, isn't the person having direct perception of devadutta,
makes this statement,  "soyam devadatta" ?
( indicating that he is the same "devadutta" that he knew from years
before, though he has grown old, put on weight etc )

If he had not know devadatta before, how can he say that, he is the same as
the one I see now ?

> The sentence simply conveys that there is an object called devadatta, which
> is commonly referred to by the sa: and ayam padAs.
>
> Because we don't know the attributes of devadatta, can we say that no
> knowledge whatsoever is produced by the sentence?
>
> We cannot, because that sentence produces knowledge that there is such a
> common object referred to by sa: and ayam,

Yes

> we just dont know what exactly
> he/she/it is.

We do exactly know as him..

> The knowledge produced here is nishprakAraka.

yes