[Advaita-l] Attributes and upadhis

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 03:22:35 CDT 2015

Keshava Prasad- PraNAms

Here is my answer to the question again. Every object has attributes and without attributes object cannot be defined since definition itself involves attributive description.

Hence we cannot have an object without attributes and swaabhaavika attributes are inseparable with its locus. At transactional level we have for purpose of transactions use attributive form itself as noun - like ring, bangle etc -a name given for attributive form.
I have discussed there is no fundamental substantive for any object other than Brahman - that we learn from Vedanta.

No I cannot perceive ring and bangle without their forms other than Gold which has again its attributes and sans those attributes we resort to atoms etc.. until fundamental particles is found.

>From Vedanta the fundamental material is Brahman only. Hence your questions to LalitaalaalitaH were appropriate and correct since one cannot make any difference between pot and cloth with out there attributes.

Senses see only attributes and sense input to the mind in the form of vRitti contains the info of attributive content - the locus for all these attributes from Vedanta is Brahman only which is imperceptible.

The existence of the object out there is now as though transferred to existence of vRitti with attributes corresponding to the REFLECTED ATTRIBUTES of the object as gathered by the senses. If senses are not needed on can have perception in dark or even a blind man can perceive the attribute less object. One can day dream and see and sense input is not needed for that.

I think I have addressed the question you posed.

My 2c

Hari Om!
Sadananda