[Advaita-l] Attributes and upadhis

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 00:42:16 CDT 2015

Dear Sri Anand Ji ,

 This is reg your observation

 << This knowledge or recognition is a case of "akhaNDAkAra vRtti", where
the object is "ghaTa", a pot, with attributes. >> .

 I am constrained to say I am unable to agree with this. The complete
statement concerning this knowledge would be “ I recognize that this is
that object “ . Though the part “ I recognize that “ is left unsaid mostly
, it is always there and implied. This makes the knowledge “ khanda “ (
with parts ) , namely it has three parts I ( Pramatru ) , recognize (
Pramana ) and *this is that object* ( Prameya ) . Hence it is not
appropriate to call this knowledge a-khanda ( partless ) “ akhandakara
vritti “. Can you please give a reference to where this called so. Ofcourse
I do not know where it has been stated that it is inappropriate to call it
so . It is only my understanding.

 On the otherhand , consider the knowledge generated by the Maha Vakya
Upadesha “ tatvamasi “ . The knowledge generated is of the form “ Aham
Brahmasmi “ . This “ knowledge “ is a-khanda , partless . There is no
Pramatru, Prameya and Pramana components. Hence it is appropriate to call
this knowledge A-khanda ( partless ) “ akhandakara vritti “ . At least I
can cite one reference in support of such a usage. That is its use in
Vedanta Sara by Sri Sadananda Yogi in his Vedanta Sara .

 My contention is that the use of the word “ akhandakara vritti “ is
inappropriate in respect of any objective perception ( mediate or immediate
) , ( determinate or indeterminate ) . It is valid only in the context of
MahaVakya Janya Jnana.

 I would be grateful for a clarification.

 Pranams and Regards

 Chandramouli

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:39 PM, Keshava PRASAD Halemane via Advaita-l <