[Advaita-l] Fwd: Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 09:37:46 CDT 2015

Dear Sri Ravi Kiran,

 You observed << << Ok, this Vritti ( akhandakara )  that arises is not of
chidabhasa, since it is directed towards the attributeless Source ( in the
sense that a vritti directed towards any object with attributes,  alone is
of chidabhasa )...In that sense, there is no difference (of any) between
the Source and the akhandakara vritti ( content or substance wise) >> .

 I had mentioned earlier that the akhandakara vritti leads to Jnanam of the
form “ aham Brahmasmi “. In this connection, I referred to Vichara Sagara.
The text is in the form of a question and answer session between the
Shishya and Guru. The Shishya seeks clarification on the following issue.

 “ To whom does the knowledge << aham Brahmasmi >> arise? Is it to the
Chidabhasa plus Mind combination or to Kutastha/Sakshi ( meaning
Atman/Brahman ) ?? If it is to the first , then it is Mithya. If it is to
the second, then Brahman becomes a vikari ( subject to modification ).
Please clarify “ .

 This is the doubt raised by the Shishya. The Guru replies as follows.

 << No doubt the Jnanam is for the Chidabhasa/mind combination. However in
this Jnanam the Chidabhasa cognizes his identity with
Kutastha/Sakshi/Brahman also.Thus he ( Chidabhasa ) negates ( baadha ) his
mithya svarupa and realizes his identity with Brahman . >> .

 If this helps in better understanding of the position , fine. For further
elaboration , you might like to refer to the work ( Vichara Sagara )
itself.

 Regards