[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 10:58:12 CDT 2015

AurobindJi - PraNAms

In the swayam jyoti Brahmana the deep sleep state is described close to turiiyam. For ajnaani, when he goes to deep sleep state he sleeps as ajnaani only - no ajnaani gets up from deep sleep state as jnaani. I think in the end Shankara points out that deep sleep state different from turiiyam as emphasized in the Mandukya - where it negates all the three states ,na prajnana ghanam..

One has to be careful in interpretation of this section in consistence with the Mandukya Upanishad.

In the Tai. Up. the deep sleep ananda is classified as ananda, moda and pramoda -The degree of ananda corresponds to the pratibimba ananda only. If it is jnaana swaruupam then ananda swaruupam also should be there.

Vidyaranaya provides an exhaustive analysis in the 11th Ch. of Pancadashi - the deep sleep state where akhandaakaara ajnana vRitti of the deep sleep state is described.

Hari Om!
Sadananda