[Advaita-l] Doubt regarding recycling of Vilva/bhel leaves for doing Shiva Pooja

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 22:08:28 CDT 2015

It is true that Bilva  and Tulashi leaves can be kept for several days as given in that verse and this is observed in Assam and Bengal too and one can pick up these in good quantity at a time, to last for several days. However, there is no dearth of these leaves for the pujas and the need has not arisen for reuse of used leaves. The only other restriction is that the flower and the leaves are never to be washed by dipping in water. Only sprinkling of water is permitted for cleaning the flowers and the leaves if that becomes necessary.

It is quite possible that where there is dearth of these leaves,  the reuse of the once-used leaves could have been permitted.
Regards,Sunil KB