[Advaita-l] dva suparNA

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Nov 13 03:37:14 CST 2015

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015, Venkatraghavan S wrote:

>       I have no problems if you prefer to call the second bird as
>       sAkshi instead, but sAkshi is nirguNa brahman, so I don't agree
>       with your statement saying it is not nirguNa brahman.
>
>       The lakshyArtha of tat and tvam have to be the same.

I suppose in the long run all these terms mean Nirguna Brahman right?

I think the crucial concept in the two birds metaphor is embodiment.  It
is the identification with pleasure and pain (and all the other pairs of
dualities) which has made the first bird suffer.  But within the living
body there is also calm and freedom which is represented by the second
bird and to recognize this will eventually lead the embodied 'I' beyond
limited identification with a body.

Typically I don't think of the term Nirguna Brahman in the context of a
body but ultimately it is true, that is all there is.