[Advaita-l] Even a Buffalo can be saguṇa Brahman

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 00:22:24 CST 2015

 Namaste
 On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Durga Janaswamy via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> And one more point:
>
> Bhagawan Sankaracharya says व्यवहारे भट्टनयः  (vyavahAre bhaTTanayaH).
>
> Regards
> -- durga prasad

You said a man cannot mix up relations with mother, sister, wife,
daughter. But here you are mixing up Vyavahara for Gruhasthas and
Sanyasis. You cannot say Sanyasis must also behave like Bhattas and do
lot of Vedic Karmas. Sanyasis are not bound by Karma like Gruhasthas.
Gruhastha must worship his family god and the Panchayatana Devatas.
But a Sanyasi will not have this restriction. Bhatta Nayaha is only
for Gruhasthas.

Sri V. Subrahmanian said -
Does the above wording exist in the Bhāṣyam? I could not find it in a
search of the Advaita Shāradā resource. It could be the sense of the above
maxim that Shankara has said.  In case you are aware of any such instance,
pl. point out.

In Upadesha Panchaka Adi Sankara has said Vedo Nityamadheeyataam
Tadudita Karma Swanushtheeyataam. We have to always study Veda and do
the Karmas given in it. I think from this someone must have concluded
we have to be like Bhattas when we are in Gruhastha Ashrama.

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Durga Janaswamy <janaswami at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hari Om,
>> Pranams.
>>
>> The article says
>> "In Advaita, as taught by Shankaracharya and handed down in the tradition,
>> there is no strict prescription of such and such entity alone should be the
>> saguna Brahman."
>> "Since the aspirants' make-up can be varied, whichever method that suits
>> one is good enough.  Ultimately, one has to come to the Goal. Such means
>> are infinite. The means do not matter at that stage. "
>>
>> Here are the points worth noting:
>> 1. I listened to two Mahatmas saying that only those objects mentioned in
>> Sastra can be used for worship.  A person has a choice with in these
>> specified objects only.
>>
>> For example salagrama stone can be worshiped as Vishnu. This is mentioned
>> in Sastra.
>> A skull dug up from grave-yard should not be used to worship as Vishnu as
>> this is not mentioned in Sastra.
>>
>> 2.  We should not mix up Vedanta and Vyavahara.
>> Vedanata is at  paramartha level, there is only reality - advaita, no
>> duality.  Here there is no worshiper and no worshiped.
>>
>> 3. Vyavahara happens only in duality. Even though the duality is illusory,
>> still duality cannot be ignored in Vyavahara.
>> If Devadatta has a mother, wife, sister and daughter, Devadatta should
>> maintain that distinction. Devadatta should not mix-up one with another.
>>
>> 4. Worship comes under Vyavahara. Vedanta should not be mixed up with
>> worship.
>> While worshiping, a person should follow relevant pramana. For example, if
>> a person is doing Chandi Homa, he should do the  homa as prescribed.  The
>> pramana can be Sastra or his guru or the book one is following.
>>
>> Regards
>> -- durga prasad
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 3:14 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <
>>
>>> An article on the above topic is available here for download:
>>>

>>> http://www.mediafire.com/view/8v2ytlai8qtnxaa/Even_a_Buffalo_can_be_sagu%E1%B9%87a_Brahman_FP.pdf
>>>
>>> regards
>>> subbu
>>>
>>> For assistance, contact: