[Advaita-l] Who is this Angustha Parimana Purusha?

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 21:46:41 CDT 2016

Sri Shashwata Shastri observed

  << The infinite Brahman as associated with upadhis appears to be so. They
refer to upahita Brahman (उपहित ब्रह्मन् ).

The question itself was related to the Upadhi. I want to know about the
exact purpose of the Upadhi thumb. >>,

We are dealing with Shruti vAkyAs. Any interpretations thereof should be
based on elaborations elsewhere in the Shrutis/smritis/Bhashyas/vartikas
etc to be considered authoritative. I am not aware of any such elaborations
answering the question raised.

Having said that there is no reason why , when such a question presents
itself , we should not indulge in some flights of fancy to arrive at a
plausible explanation purely for personal enjoyment as also to gain some
insight into proper understanding of the Sidhanta. In the current context
such an exercise led me to look for any other instances where the thumb is
used to represent Brahman. I found an answer in the Chinmudra posture of
Lord Dakshinamurthy in which the thumb is said to represent Brahman. I do
not know who conceived of this explanation and in which work exactly this
appears. Other members could perhaps throw some light on this. A reference
to that might provide some lead in answering the question.

I presume it is such an exercise which led Sri Aurobind Padiyath Ji to the
Ekalavya episode.

Regards