[Advaita-l] Fwd: Re: What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 06:48:34 CDT 2016

praNAms

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Sujal Upadhyay <sujal.u at gmail.com> wrote:

> praNAm-s
>
> In panchadashI, SrI vidyAraNya svAmI has said that - after the removal of
> aGYAna, GYAnI (jIvanmukta) sees mithyA jagat,

Yes, as mentioned in the BSB also, it continues as bAdhita anuvRttiH, while
paramArtha GYAna itself is trikAla abAdhita (unsublated),as there is no
pramAna to sublate it.

बाधितमपि तु मिथ्याज्ञानं द्विचन्द्रज्ञानवत्संस्कारवशात्कंचित्कालमनुवर्तत एव

> as mithyA and GYAna are nor opposite. However, GYAnI knows that samsAra is
> mithyA and hence do not get involved in it.
>

> It is like seeing sky meeting land. We know that it is an illusion, yet we
> keep seeing it :)

True :)

> In case of nirvikalpa samAdhi, one does not see (experience) any brAnti or
> mithyA jagat, as one is above mAyA, but when one's consciousness descends
> back to the plane of jagat, it comes under the influence of mAyA. Since
> mind is necessary to see or experience anything, and mind is under
> influence of mAyA, it sees or experiences jagat.

In paramArtha GYAna itself, there is no trace of mAyA or avidya,  as Sruti
says

*Brahmavid brahmaiva bhavati**brahma-vid apnoti param*

However, a GYAnI is detached from mind and hence knows the truth.