[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 14:03:19 CDT 2016

Namaste,
Shankaracharya's views on who is being referred to as Yaksha from the Kena
vAkya bhAshya:

न ह्यन्यत्र परादीश्वरान्नित्यसर्वज्ञात्परिभूयाग्न्यादींस्तृणं वज्रीकर्तुं
सामर्थ्यमस्ति । ‘तन्न शशाक दग्धुम्’ (के. उ. ३-६)
<http://advaitasharada.sringeri.net/php/format.php?bhashya=Kena_vakya&page=03#KP_C03_V06>इत्यादिलिङ्गाद्ब्रह्मशब्दवाच्य
ईश्वर इत्यवसीयते ।...ईश्वरेच्छया तु तृणमपि वज्रीभवतीत्युपपद्यते

None apart from the Nitya, parA, sarvajna Ishvara could have the capability
to subdue Agni by making even a blade of grass into the very vajrAyudha
itself. From the evidence in the Upanishad which said "He couldn't even
burn a corner of the blade of grass", it is clear that here Ishvara, the
meaning of the term saguNa Brahman is referred here... By Ishvara's mere
thought, a blade of grass can take the potency of vajrA.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan