[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 23:37:48 CDT 2016

Namaste

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Sunil Bhattacharjya via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> While trying to prove Vishnu as superior ot Shiva, some of the Dvaitins should not try to show that Shiva was Brahma's son and therefore Shiva is an inferior entity. , I read quite sometime ago in Purana (which is considered as fifth veda by the Vedas),  that Brahma himself prayed to Shiva to take birth as Brahma's son and Shiva, the Bholanath readily obliged. I am sure there would be many among the Advaitins, who read the  puranas and knows this. Hope our Dvaitin friends would also read the puranas for these and not read the puranas selectively.
That is exactly the Dvaiti position. They read only Vaishnava Puranas
and say they are Sattvika Puranas. Other Puranas like Siva and Linga
Puranas they say are Tamasika and they will not touch them. If you
give a reference from Siva Purana they will not accept it. But they
will accept anything and everything from Pancharatra books.

> [...]
>   above. These are the words of Brahma addressed to his son
>   Shiva).
>
>   ['Brahma said,--'Listen, O son, as to how that Purusha is
>   indicated.
>   He is eternal and immutable. He is undeteriorating and
>   immeasurable.
>   He pervades all things. 1 O best of all creatures, that
>   Purusha cannot
>   be seen by thee, or me, or others. Those that are endued
>   with the
>   understanding and the senses but destitute of
>  self-restraint
>   and
>   tranquility of soul cannot obtain a sight of him. The
>   Supreme Purusha
>   is said to be one that can be seen with the aid of
>  knowledge
>   alone.
>   Though divested of body, He dwells in every body. Though
>   dwelling,
>   again, in bodies, He is never touched by the acts
>   accomplished by
>   those bodies. He is my Antaratma (inner soul). He is thy
>   inner soul.
>   He is the all-seeing Witness dwelling within all embodied
>   creatures
>   and engaged in marking their acts. No one can grasp or
>   comprehend him
>   at any time. The universe is the crown of his head. The
>   universe is
>   his arms. The universe is his feet. The universe is his
>   eyes. The
>   universe is his nose. Alone and single, he roves through
>  all
>   Kshetras
>   (Bodies) unrestrained by any limitations on his will and
>  as
>   he likes.]
>
>   The discussion continues and a few verses later, Brahma
>   reveals that
>   the Purusha is Narayana -
>
>   Mbh: 12.329.14
>
>   तत्र यः परमात्मा हि स
>   नित्यं निर्गुणः
>   स्मृतः | स हि नारायणो
>   ज्ञेयः
>   सर्वात्मा पुरुषो हि
>  सः
>   ||१४||
>
>   [The truth is that he who is the Supreme Soul is always
>   divested of
>   attributes. He is Narayana. He is the universal soul, and
>  he
>   is the
>   one Purusha.]
>
>   Thus, Brahma reveals to his son Shiva that Narayana is the
>   supreme
>   Purusha and the Atman of all. Since Shankara quotes this
>   incident from
>   both these chapters (328 and 329 of Shanti parva), these
>   incidents are
>   not interpolations as they have been authenticated by the
>   great
>   Shankara himself, who stands in greatness, next only to
>   Krishna-Dvaipayana (vyasa).
>
>   Thus, this is another instance in the Mahabharata, where

-Venkatesh