[Advaita-l] Krishna is Shiva's child (was Re: Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma)

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 02:33:54 CDT 2016

> 1) Krishna is Shiva's child.
>
> "Keshava is that Devoted Worshipper of Rudra who has sprung from Rudra Himself."
>
> sa eSha rudrabhaktashcha keshavo rudrasambhavaH |

It is very easy to prove that the above is an interpolation. Since the
above says that Keshava arises from Rudra, it would be fruitful to
look at the etymology of the word Keshava.

I will quote from Sri Madhusudhana Saraswati's Gudartha Dipika (1.30-31) -

केशवपदेन च तत्करणसामथ्र्यम्। को ब्रह्मा सृष्टिकर्ता ईशो रूद्रः संहर्ता
तौ वात्यनुकम्प्यतया गच्छतीति तद्व्युत्पत्तेः।

ka is brahma and Isha is Rudra. He who approaches brahma and Rudra
with compassion (i.e he who has them at his mercy) is Keshava.

Similar etymology is given by the author of Vishnu sahsaranama bhashya
for the word Keshava. ka is brahma, a is Vishnu and Isa is rudra and
the trimurtis are under his control. So he is called Keshava. Of
course there is nothing wrong in saying Vishnu is under his own
control.

Hence by the very etymology of the word Keshava, it is impossible for
him to arise from Rudra, because Rudra is under the control of
Keshava. The interpolators (fortunately) did a poor job.