[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 03:52:12 CDT 2016

Alright, let us say Indra did not think that the yaksha was same as
sarvjna Ishwara, with whom Uma is associated. Let us also say this
sarvajna Ishwara is Shiva only. Indra also does not know that this
sarvajna Ishwara with whom Uma is associated, is brahman, for if he
already knew, then there is nothing else to know. (So here sarvajnatva
does not imply brahmatva). So far so good.

Now note that Shankara uses the word Ishwara to refer to Indra himself
in 3.11 and in 3.12, it is not Indra. This is an important point.

Later Uma reveals that this yaksha is brahman. She does not say that
this yaksha is the same as the one with whom I am associated. Shankara
calls this as both brahman and Ishwara, but given that Ishwara in 3.11
is not same as Ishwara in 3.12, there is no way to connect the Ishwara
in 3.12 with the Ishwara in 4.1, for neither Shankara nor the
upanishad says that the this brahman is the same Ishwara with whom Uma
is associated. So there is no way Indra could have known that the
sarvajna Ishwara with whom Uma is associated is brahman. Hence, there
is no reason to suppose that this brahman is Shiva.

Regards
Gayatri