[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva

Shashi raghavadasa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:51:24 CDT 2016

Perhaps there might be some merit
To Mr. Venkataraghavan's approach -
There seem to be very devout Siva Bhaktas and very devout Vishnu bhaktas. Neither wants to see their God denigrated. Moreover, not only does it cause pain, but as Advaita is a philosophical system and not necessarily a theological one, this discussion might seem out of place - this seems to be the argument.
and it is well worth considering.

Everyone, however should note D Gayatris contention has merit as well.
One could interpret certain
posts on this forum as excessively
Pro shaiva. A good example is a recent post about the origin of the Sudarshana Chakra.

Lord Sudarsana is universally honored among Vishnu Bhaktas.
The Sudarshana mantra invokes
Lord Sudarshana •as a manifestation of Mahavishnu•. The emotion behind the worship of Lord Sudarshana is
deep: it is the feeling of protection,
grace, strength, and support. It is THE symbol of Lord Vishnu watching over his saranagatas. By worshipping Lord Sudarshana,  one feels profoundly connected to Lord Vasudeva. One can imagine what it does to a Vishnu Bhakta when he hears that "Sudarshana was a gift from Siva to Vishnu for Vishnus Bhakti to Siva." What's the implication: there is nothing about Vishnus essence that allows him to protect - his power comes from elsewhere. Vishnu himself is powerless to protect those who now before him.

I know the poster did not have these ideas in mind. He is a devout worshipper of Siva and a worshipper of Vishnu. Moreover this story has scriptural basis in the writings sacred to Siva Bhaktas. But if D Gayatri should be careful about respecting the sentiments of Siva worshippers,
so should everyone be careful of everyone else's religious sentiments.
Because there was a Madhva or a Srivaishnava who disrespected Lord Siva please nobody disrespect Lord Vishnu. Let everyone show respect both to Lord Siva and to Lord Vishnu.

Shashi

Sent from my iPhone