[Advaita-l] Sringeri recognized as first Math by Kanchi?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 04:06:15 CST 2016

On p.52 of A History of Indian Philosophy, Volume 4 By Surendranath
Dasgupta, on the chapter of 'Madhva and his school', it is stated that
Udupi is about 40 miles from Sringeri where there was a celebrated Maṭha of
Shankara. Again, on p.53, it is said that Madhva had a long fight with
Shānkarites of the Sringeri monastery. Further, on p.54, it is mentioned
that Madhva was persecuted by one Padma Tirtha, the head of the Sringeri
monastery.   Dasgupta admits Madhva's period which ended in 1276 AD. We do
not know from where Dasgupta got these connections with Sringeri although
he refers to the Madhva Vijaya while doing so.

subrahmanian.v

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 3:08 AM, S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l <