[Advaita-l] loka-aloka mountain

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 00:34:26 CST 2016

Namaste

I heard in Margashirsha Masa the Full Moon will be near Mruga Sira
Nakshatra. This means Head of Mruga. What is this Mruga? It is Head of
Brahmaa. How? When he created his daughter he became very desirous of
her and approached her. But she became afraid and took the shape of a
female deer. She tried to run away from Brahmaa. But he became a male
deer and chased her and tried to mate with her. But Siva became very
angry to see this. He became a Hunter and shot an arrow to cut the
Head of the Male Deer mating with his daughter. This Head of the Male
Deer is Mruga Sira Nakshatra.

Why Margashirsha is important? Because Siva played His Leela to stop
incest the Adharma. He must be worshipped  by all worlds for this.

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2016, Shrinivas Gadkari via Advaita-l wrote:
>
>> - The month of Margashirha corresponds to the period when Sun enters into
>>  dhanu rASi - that is when sun as seen from the Earth is in the region
>>  of the Galactic center. This month is singled out in Gita (10.35).
>>  This is very interesting - I have always wondered what is so special
>>  about the month of Margashirha.
>

> Ingenious but there is a simpler explanation for why Krishna Bhagavan says
> mAsAnAM mArgashIrSho.aham.
>
> The Margashirsha purnima is when the agrahAyaNeShTi is performed by
> shrautis.  It is the first observance of the Vedic year so Margashirsha can
> be considered the first month according to that cycle.
>
> (However among the seasons, vasanta which the gItA calls kusumAkara is
> considered the first.)
>
> --

-Venkatesh