[Advaita-l] Fwd: "time" as defined in Vedanta pariBAsha.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 03:51:33 CST 2016

Yet another input on the concept of 'kāla':

In the Taittiriya Araṇyaka is this mantra:

कला मुहूर्ताः काष्ठाश्चाहोरात्राश्च सर्वशः ॥ ८॥ अर्धमासा मासा ऋतवः
संवत्सरश्च कल्पन्ताम् ।

Sāyaṇāchārya whilo introducing this mantra initiates a discussion:

ननु ’प्रकृतिः पुरुषश्चैव नित्यौ कालश्च सत्तम ।’ इति विष्णुपुराणे कालस्य
नित्यत्वाभिधानात् विद्यादृष्ट्या अपि ब्रह्मरूपत्वं नास्तीति आशङ्क्य,
पुराणस्याविद्यादृष्टिविषयत्वमभिप्रेत्य विद्यादृष्ट्या कालस्य
ब्रह्मत्वविवक्षया ब्रह्मणः सकाशादुत्पत्तिं......दर्शयति -

In the previous mantras the realization of the Supreme Brahman was
discussed. So, a question arises, based on the Vishnupurāna statement
'prakṛti, puruśa and kāla are eternal', that kāla cannot be deemed to be
ultimately Brahman since it is taught as an eternal independent entity. The
next mantra is to teach that such is not the case. The purāṇic statement is
from the ignorant (vyavaharika) point of view and hence the true position
that kāla is created by Brahman and hence ultimately it is also of the
nature of Brahman alone (kārya-kāraṇa ananyatva hetoḥ).

सर्वे निमेषा जज्ञिरे विद्युतः पुरुषादधि। [All time units are born from the
Supreme Puruṣa]

Sāyaṇācharya cites some authorities that define the various units of time
enumerated in the mantra. It is worth studying them.

regards
subbu