[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Works of Sri Vidyashankara

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 07:47:43 CST 2016

Namaste,
Sri VedAnta deSika, an eminent VishishTadvaitin, in his commentary on the
Gita mentions a list of commentators from other traditions of the Gita
(18.66) - पिशाच - रन्तिदेव - गुप्त - शङ्कर - यादवप्रकाश - भास्कर -
नारायणार्य - यज्ञस्वामि - प्रभृतिभि:.

This list is generally considered to be in chronological order (I believe F
Otto Schrader discusses this in one of his works). Secondly, VedAnta
deSika, being a visiShTAdvaitin, cannot be said to have a vested interest
in attributing the gIta bhAshya to Shankaracharya (i.e. with a view to
improve the latter's bibliography).  Thirdly, Sri DeSika is known as a
contemporary of Sri VidyAraNya, who was Sri VidyASankara's disciple. If the
gIta bhAshya was indeed composed by Sri VidyASankara, then I would imagine
that Sri DeSika would be better placed to opine on it than say, us, as he
was one generation below Sri VidyASankara.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <