[Advaita-l] Fwd: "time" as defined in Vedanta pariBAsha.

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 08:05:33 CST 2016

Namaste Sri Praveen Ji,

Reg  << Explain as to how is time known during pralaya when मायाकार्य is
resolved, for creation to begin. >>,

I am just reproducing here from the article by Prof Hiriyanna I referred to
in my other post as I liked his presentation ( this is as relevant to the
first alternative presented therein ) .

Quote  fro Sri Hiriyanna’s article << Being an effect Time must have a
beginning as well as an end. It may be said that that it is difficult to
think of a beginning or end in regard to Time, for all thought presupposes
it. But this difficulty is only to be expected since, as an effect of
avidya, it is merely an empirical reality. All empirical objects are
riddled with such inconsistencies, and it is just for this reason that they
are described “appearences”. They are quite familiar to us, but we cannot
give a coherent account of them.  >. Unquote.

Be that as it may,  sushupti is considered to be the best illustration for
pralaya from several viewpoints. One is as to how or when  one wakesup to
jAgrat from sushupti. There is no conception of time in sushupti. It is
mentioned in Kaivalyopanishad that the jiva wakesup from sushupti when he
is due to experience the fruits of his actions (vyashti karmaphala). Same
is the case with Creation after pralaya. Creation “ appears”  when
collectively all the jivas are due to experience the fruits of their
actions (samashti karmaphalas).