[Advaita-l] nAsadIya sUktam

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 23:40:13 CST 2016

Namaste,

Few points (based on my understanding) on this topic:

1. Firstly, and importantly, meaning of two words must be discussed:
   a. "sat" - that which is good, auspicious (sadbhAva, sAdhubhAva Gita 17.26)
   b. "asat" - that which is not "sat", opposed to "sat".
   Some people stretch the meaning of these two words to respectively mean
   "existence" and "non existence". In my opinion, this is unneeded and
   also incorrect.

2. Now there is this recurring question that everyone asks at some point
   of time or the other: "If God has created this world, and also sustains it,
   how come there is place for evil in this world?" Upanishads and also Gita
   have resolved this by declaring that the Highest Reality, para brahma,
   is neither "sat", nor "asat".

3. Here in this sUkta we find a better position being taken - The Highest
   Reality, is NOT "asat". Note this DOES NOT MEAN that Highest Reality is
   "sat". All that it says is Highest Reality is NOT OPPOSED to "sat", in

   other words it is NOT AN ACTIVE SUPPORTER of "asat". So, evil continues
   to exist, and may also seem to win in the short term, but in the long run
   that which is auspicious triumphs.
4. Note that the God that we can relate to IS "sat". But this God
   himself/ herself is dependent on/ devoted to this Highest Reality.

Hari Om.

Regards,
Shrinivas Gadkari