[Advaita-l] Nyayasudha Objections 1

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 12 22:54:00 CST 2016

>pada "nirviShESha" conveying negation of pratiyOgi viShESha-s here in its
>mukhyartha form. How's that its lakShyArtha being Brahman? Unless you know
>Brahman apriori and its attributelessness apriori from a different source
>other than that pada itself, by hearing "nirviShESha" will not imply such
>Brahman.

Even in the case of "gangAyAM ghoShaH", unless a person already knows that
there is a river called gangA, there is no lakShyArtha required. Such a
person may think that there is a place called "gangA" and there is a
village in it. He/she may not realize that it is the river bank that is the
place where the village exists, not the river gangA itself. The word
"agangA" may indicate a river that is not gangA or something different.
There is no way of pinpointing a place as "agangA", nor can we take the
"mukhyArtha" of "agangA", because "a village not on the gangA" will not
yield any information about where the village is.

Anand