[Advaita-l] Question? - Is Guru necessary?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 23:06:52 CST 2016

Namaste Sri Sadananda ji,

In short, one can do all those things you outlined, but it is better to
have personal contact.

There are definite benefits if the guru and sishya have personal contact:

1)  so the guru can assess the sishyA's calibre and appropriately tailor
the message.

2) Also, as the classes progress, the guru can assess the student's
progress or lack thereof and speed up /slow down / modify the teaching as
needed.

3) the sishyA can ask questions at the right times.

4) there is a regular routine / pattern to the study with physical classes
which can aid studies.

5) no vidyA is complete without guru dakshiNA, and the student has more
opportunity / feels obliged to show respect to the guru by means of
dakshiNA when there is personal contact. While the guru may not need or
even desire it, it is the student's duty to pay guru dakshiNA to the guru
in whatever form possible (service/money/kind). The idea is not to let any
vidyA turn into a parasitic relationship.

While there are benefits, but by no means does it rule out listening to
online talks as an option if personal contact is not possible for whatever
reason.

For someone who is able to overcome the disadvantages of a remote medium,
has reasonable self awareness (used in the sense of awareness of one's
strengths / weaknesses and progress), is self motivated and regular in
study, online / electronic listening to classes is acceptable, according to
me.

Should a guru be alive? It would certainly help. At least there is a
possibility of personal contact in the future.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan