[Advaita-l] Dvaita Accepts Body Adhyāsa

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:25:51 CDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Venkatesh Murthy (वेङ्कटेशः
सीतारामार्यपुत्रः) <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

> Take a red flower and place it next to a clear crystal. You will see
> the crystal is also appearing red. Here the Redness of Crystal is
> Kalpita but the red flower and crystal are not Kalpita. But the
> Redness of Crystal is Bhrama only. It cannot be real.
>
> Like this even though the Non-difference of body and Self is Kalpita
> and Bhrama we can ask when this Bhrama started? For this the only
> correct answer is it is Anaadi. Without a beginning.

Even if you say that bhrama is anAdi it only means it co-exist with jIva
from anAdi and jIva never acquired it afresh. This only means such bhrama
must be self-same nature (svabhAva) of jIva, for the reason one will not
call something which acquired later as svbhAva. This logically leads to the
conclusion that you cannot get rid of self-same nature bhrama without
destroying the the very dharmi chaitanya itself. This means that chaitanya
never can realize it is indeed Brahman.

Some how if you argue you can get rid of such bhrama without destroying
chid dharmi, then you have to reject the idea that bhrama was anAdi and
accept it was acquired/superficially imposed on it and it was never
integral part of that chaitanya vastu. Then the same question author (of
the article) is asking his opponent applies to himself with equal force.

Btw, one wonders why does advaitins interested in anAdi argument when time
itself is mithya according to them? In other words, notion of "time" is not
possible unless you have adhyAsa. You cannot have adhyAsa from anAdi times
argument unless you have notion of "time".

/sv