[Advaita-l] loka-aloka mountain

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Jul 17 22:58:46 CDT 2016

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016, Shrinivas Gadkari via Advaita-l wrote:

> - Regarding other dvIpa-s, we have two options, (a) discard this as
> fantasy, or (b) be open to the possibility that these are earth-like
> planets somewhere in the universe.

There is a third possibility I think.  The clue is that the Bhagavata
gives a mantra for each dvipa. Also 5th skandha contains the story of
Jadabharata who is widely regarded within the Advaitic tradition and
without as an epitome of a Yogi.  (Even amongst the Jains though they put
their own spin on the story.)  So could it be that the 5th skandha is to
be read as a yogashastra?  We are familiar with the metaphysical system of
seven chakras arranged vertically down the spinal column (which can be
identified by Mt. Meru as you noted. Other geographical features are
associated with body parts too.) What if instead we imagine them as
radiating outwards?  Then lokaloka would be the boundary between the
ego-self and the all-self.

Some food for thought perhaps.