[Advaita-l] Understanding Reality in the Vision of Advaita Vedanta

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:20:56 CDT 2016

Namaste

It is a good article. I did not understand why you say Mithya means
dependent reality. Take a dog. The dog's tail is depending on the dog.
Without dog there is no dog's tail. But there can be a dog with tail
cut off. I heard some Tantric practitioners cut a dog's tail and use
it for strange practices. Near my home there is a street dog. Someone
has recently cut its tail and took it.  It is independently used. But
can we say dog's tail is Mithya compared to dog when it is attached to
dog? No. It is not less real than dog.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Wolfgang P via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> the following article explains the vedAntic categories satyam, asat and
> mithyA. The article is titled "Understanding Reality in the Vision of
> Advaita Vedanta".
>
> I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
>
> https://ia801507.us.archive.org/10/items/UnderstandingReality_201607/01_Understanding_Reality_en.pdf
>
> Comments are welcome!
>
> kind regards
>
> Wolfgang P