[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 23:37:16 CDT 2016

Thank you for your participation, Sri Chandramouli ji.

In relation to your comment that the status of creation in PDSV is not
mithyA - ie it is atyanta asat - is not true.

PrakashAnanda says आत्मसत्तातिरिक्ततया द्वैतसत्ता अभावात् - Duality has no
existence apart from Atma  (page 164).

If he had wanted to unconditionally allocate tucchatva to dvaita sattA, he
would not have made that statement.

This idea is in line with Shankaracharya's Chandogya bhAshya "ata:
sadAtmanA sarvavyavahArANAm sarvavikArANAm cha satyatvam sattoanyatve cha
anritatvamiti". The existence of duality is the existence of Atma, and
apart from Atma it is non-existent only.

Therefore he considers it mithyA only from the standpoint of logic.
However, ultimately, only from a paramArtha standpoint does he call it
tuccha - but that is a view shared by all - including Shankaracharya and
VidyAraNya.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan