[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 15 01:33:04 CDT 2016

Dear Shri Chandramouliji,

>Sorry.  I missedout on  << Where exactly does Dasgupta say that according
>to PrakAshAnanda creation is
>a fictitious entity?>>.  Please refer Vol 2. page 224, lines 19 to 29,
>specially line 21.

If you read carefully what Dasgupta is saying and follow the reference, you
will see that he is referring to a well known verse from the PanchadashI,
6.130 (citradIpaprakaraNa):
तुच्छानिर्वचनीया च वास्तवी चेत्यसौ त्रिधा।
ज्ञेया माया त्रिभिर्बोधैः श्रौतयौक्तिकलौकिकैः॥६.१३०॥

Basically this verse is saying that from knowledge of shruti (vedAnta),
mAyA is nonexistent (tuccha, कालत्रयेऽप्यसती nonexistent in all three
periods of time, as Ramakrishna the commentator says), from a logical
approach, it is anirvacanIyA, and from only worldly knowledge, it is real.

And this is accepted by all advaitins, not just PrakAshAnanda. There is
nothing here that singles out PrakAshAnanda from the rest of the advaitins.

Anand