[Advaita-l] The Tinged Brahman of Deep Sleep, etc.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 05:45:34 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste Sri Subbu ji,
>
> In a related matter, I had some issues reconciling /interpreting the
> bhAshya of Br. Up. 4.3.21.
>
> The specific vAkya I am having a problem reconciling with is :
> यत आत्मकामम् — आत्मैव कामाः यस्मिन् रूपे, अन्यत्र प्रविभक्ता इव अन्यत्वेन
> काम्यमानाः यथा जाग्रत्स्वप्नयोः, तस्य आत्मैव
> अन्यत्वप्रत्युपस्थापकहेतोरविद्याया अभावात्

Anandagiri Acharya clarifies for the above sentence:

यद्यपि सुषुप्तेऽविद्या विद्यते तथाऽपि न सा अभिव्यक्ता अस्ती
इत्यनर्थपरिहारोपपत्तिरित्यर्थः ।

He says: Even though avidya subsists in deep sleep, yet it (avidya) is not
manifest and hence there is no anartha, sāmsāric trammels, in deep sleep.

In the very next paragraph in the bhashyam there is the word आगन्तुक. For
this too Anandagiri commentary is there: Even though Avidya is not
something that will come later, yet, when it manifests (in jāgrat) it will
bring forth all the problems.

We had discussed this above portion in this forum before.

regards
vs