[Advaita-l] Topic for Discussion: What is Nirvikalpaka Samaadhi?

Aurobind Padiyath aurobind.padiyath at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 11:45:42 CST 2016

Hari Om! Sadaji,
Your reply from which I'm quoting the portion which I've some clarity
requirements. Kindly clarify them for me.
Quote :
The thought-less mind happens normally in deep-sleep state. In the
deep-sleep state there is akhanda ajnaana vRitti or constant unbroken
thought of ignorance of subject-object duality, as the mind is folded. Deep
sleep state is not meditation since mind is folded and cannot abide in the
knowledge of aham brahmaasmi.
Unquote :
Now my doubts are
1. If there is mind in deep sleep it has to have either asti or nasti
experiences. But as your definition it is folded, means what is the
swaroopa or swabhava of that mind?
2. Is it the amanibhavah?

3. Akhanda ajnAn Vritti is not a state possible in deep sleep as ajnAna
vritti has to have an object. Ignorance of? ??? Nothing? That's not
ignorance. Ajnana is absence of Jnana not Jnana of nothing.

4. If I'm to recall the statement described as that of deep sleep is -
"Sadisambhadya na vidhuh sadisambhadhyamahe". Here the term "na vidhuh" is
not a state of ignorance as the object of vidhuh is Sat Chit Ananda only
and it is ever present in all states. But mind which is present only in
jagrat and swapna is absent in sushupti. Without vritti there is no mind
because that's the swaroopa of mind.
5. The knowledge of Aham Brahmasmi is never within the scope of mind. I'm I
right? Mind with the indriyas can only comprehend world external. The
moment it turns inward it stops being mind.
So how can we say in deep sleep the mind is folded?

Pl enlighten me.
Hari Om!
Aurobind Padiyath

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 21:27 kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l, <

Aurobind Padiyath
+91-9689755499